In 2004 a box of books (mostly fiction) was handed in to the Warminster Lions' Club secondhand bookshop at George Street, Warminster. The box was thought to have come from the house at Ash Walk, Warminster, where the last remaining sisters of St. Denys' Convent had resided for a while after vacating (and selling) the former convent at Vicarage Street, Warminster. Among the books was a typewritten manuscript (15 A4 pages) titled 'The Wansey Family and Memoirs Of Childhood at Warminster by Louisa Colfox (nee Wansey).' This title was handwritten in blue ink on the card cover for the manuscript, which was in fact the inside cover of the 'Unilever report and accounts, 1971.' This card and the manuscript pages had been punched with holes and through these was a length of green wool holding all together. The first page of the manuscript, had 'PLEASE RETURN TO THE LIBRARY' written in black biro across the top; but to which library this referred is not known. There were also nine or ten corrections or amendments, also in black biro, made occasionally to some of the information typed within.
Marcus Folker, of the Warminster Lions' Club, and volunteer manager of the secondhand bookshop, handed the manuscript over to Warminster's resident local historian Danny Howell. It is not known who had typed this particular manuscript. 'Memoirs of Childhood at Warminster, by Louisa Colfox' had been published in the Warminster and District Companion, Volume One, in April 2003, but although the account was the same, had come from another source.
The information from 'The Wansey Family of Warminster' manuscript is published in this post. The corrections and amendments, as referred to earlier, are reproduced within the text in italics:
THE WANSEY FAMILY OF WARMINSTER
SIR HUGH DE WAUNCI came over with William the Conqueror from Normandy under Earl Warren, son-in-law to William. Their first residence was at Barshamin, Norfolk, from whence they branched out and settled in Hertfordshire, Northamptonshire, Surrey and lastly in Wiltshire.
“Ann Wansey, wife of William Wansey of this city, merchant, and daughter of William Barnes, Alderman, some time Father of this City, born 11 Sept. 1715, died 26 March, 1787.”
They had six sons and three daughters:-