Heytesbury FC Book Their Place In The Trowbridge & District League A&B Cup Final

Monday 12th February 2018:

Heytesbury FC Book Their Place In Cup Final

Heytesbury booked their place in the Trowbridge and District League A&B Cup Final, thanks to a 3-5 victory at Freshford United, writes Martyn Spratt.

Division 1 leaders Freshford United were stunned as Heytesbury FC took an early lead. With the game just two minutes old, Sam Roberts found Jamie Howse with a throw-in; he ran to the bye line and beat his marker before crossing for Wayne Marchmont to score the opening goal. 

Howse then came close a few minutes later shooting from 30 yards - his shot just cleared the bar. 

Heytesbury were well on top but after 13 minutes Alfie Little scored to level the game for Freshford. The Bury hit straight back and Bradley Edwards played in Craig Sheppard who whipped the ball across goal and it went in off the far post for 1-2. 

It was Charlie Waylen and Edwards again who combined to set up Sheppard for goal number three. This time Edwards sending a deep cross to the feet of Sheppard; he controlled the ball well before finishing for 1-3. 

Freshford again hit back with 31 minutes gone; Nick Ross finding the top corner of the net from distance. Now it was 2-3. 

Again, Heytesbury hit back immediately within a minute. Wayne Marchmont broke into the box and was brought down for a penalty. Sheppard stepped up, placing his spot kick into the corner of the net for 2-4. 

Freshford came out for the second half and put Heytesbury on the back foot as they pushed forward. Heytesbury defended well and increased their lead in the 58th minute. Wayne Marchmont won the ball, passing to Jamie Howse who played a 40 yard pass, splitting the defence to find Charlie Waylen unmarked at the edge of the box. Waylen calmly passed the advancing keeper and it was 5-2. 

But the game was far from over. Dave Percival broke into the box to smash the ball home to give Freshford a lifeline. 3-5. 

Moments later the Bury Keeper Sam Spratt produced a good save to deny Percival a second. The game was now end to end. Freshford keeper Adam Sheppard produced a great save to stop a Jamie Howse header from a Waylen corner. Then an even better save to stop Craig Sheppard. Freshford laid siege on the Heytesbury goalmouth, until eventually keeper Spratt produced a great save from a close range shot, pushing the ball around the post. Percival was beginning to run riot and it took a fantastic tackle from Kyle Edwardes to stop him in the box, and then Stephen Mathews pulled off a couple of good sliding tackles to keep him out. 

Heytesbury kept soaking up the pressure but were pleased to hear the final whistle. 

Heytesbury Team:- Sam Spratt, Bradley Edwards, Kyle Edwardes (c) , Ryan North, Stuart Rich, Wayne Marchmont, Dan Dicks, Sam Roberts, Charlie Waylen, Craig Sheppard, Jamie Howse.

Subs:- Stephen Mathews, Liam Reid , Stuart Green. 

Afterwards Manager Tom O’Brien commented "A very special performance; to go to the home of Freshford, who are top of Division One, and knock them out of the Cup in the Semi Final is no mean feat. I am delighted that the boys have got the rewards for all their hard work this season. A cup final is always a special night for players and staff, well done everyone."